Going to the beach can be a lot of fun, but it’s not enjoyable if you get a sunburn. It’s always a good idea to pack a beach umbrella for every trip you take. It can give you relief from bright sunlight. We’ve prepared a guide to help you find the best beach umbrella and tips to help you know what to look for.
What Is a Beach Umbrella?
A beach umbrella is a device that is used to protect you from the sun and the weather outside. A Beach umbrella is large enough to provide shelter for one or more people underneath its expanse. These shades are usually made of a metal or plastic frame that has several arms extending over the top of a straight pole. The fabric is stretched over the top to block the sun’s rays and to help shield against rain and other kinds of adverse weather.
The 10 Best Beach Umbrellas
- AosKe Portable Sun Shade Umbrella
The Aoske portable sun shade umbrella is a good solution for fishing, gardening or spending the day at the beach. It’s made of materials that not only block the suns rays, it also blocks the heat.
- Tilting stand: The umbrella stand offers a tilt feature so you can adjust it to block the sun from any angle
- Pointed prong anchor: The pointed prong anchor is easy to drive into the ground and all you need to do is step on the integral stand to firmly implant the umbrella into sand, grass or soil
- Lightweight: The aluminum poles are light in weight for easy carrying
- Compact: This pole for this umbrella unscrews at the middle so you can fold it up into a small size for compact carrying and storage.
- BEACHBUB All-in-One Beach Umbrella System. Includes 7 ½’ (50+ UPF) Umbrella, Oversize Bag, Base & Accessory Kit
Flying beach umbrellas can become a dangerous hazard. The Beachbub is a complete umbrella system that is guaranteed to be easy to set and it won’t blow away when the wind comes up. The American Lifeguard Association endorses it for its safety.
- Wind tested and approved: This umbrella is tested to withstand winds up to 35 mph without flying away.
- Fillable base: The fillable base gives the umbrella its staying power. You can fill it with up to 120 lbs of sand for greater stability.
- Compact and lightweight: The umbrella is foldable into a compact size that weighs only 9 pounds for easy carrying and storage.
- Bonus carrying bag: The included carrying bag is an extra large size and it comes with a padded strap and handles, so it’s easy and comfortable to carry.
- AMMSUN 6.5 ft Outdoor Patio Beach Umbrella Sun Shelter with Tilt Air Vent Carry Bag
The Ammsun Patio Beach Umbrella makes an excellent shelter from the sun. It’s packed with useful features and accessories for a safer and more enjoyable day at the beach, fishing or in any outdoor setting.
- Air vented: The umbrella is made with vents that let the air flow through to keep you cool on a hot day
- Sturdy construction: The structure of the canopy frame is strengthened with 8 ribs
- Tilting feature: The umbrella is adjustable with a tilting feature that makes it easy to move the shade as needed to keep the sun off your head.
- Lightweight: The umbrella is easy to carry because it only weighs 5.5 pounds. It also comes with a handy carrying bag that is made out of fabric.
- Sport-Brella X-Large Umbrella
The Sport-Brella is one of my favorites when going to the beach with a group of people. The umbrella is generous in size and it does an excellent job of protecting your skin from dangerous sun rays. It’s ideal for shade when the sun is hot outside with room for several people to get out of the sun.
- Large shade coverage: The Sport-Brella is an extra large size with a 9-foot canopy that provides a good coverage area for multiple people to seek shelter from sun or rain.
- Durable material: One of the most impressive features of the Sport-Brella is the heavy duty material. It’s made of 210D grade Polyester. The ribs are 4.5mm thick and a 5mm stretcher is all made of steel.
- Built-in organizing space: The umbrella has side pockets sewn into the canopy for keeping your personal items nearby and safe
- Telescoping pole: The telescoping pole makes the umbrella adjustable so you can set it up at the ideal height. It is also water repellent to give you protection when it’s raining outside.
- Sport-Brella Portable All-Weather and Sun Umbrella. 8-Foot Canopy
The Sport-Brella portable is a versatile 8-foot canopy that is good to use for protection whether it’s hot and sunny outside or raining and windy. The large canopy gives you all-weather protection from the elements.
- Extra protection from the elements: You get a lot of extra protection from wind and rain with the side panels
- Strong and durable: High-quality 210D Polyester material is durable and resistant to sun and wind damage for longer use
- Windows: Built-in windows let you stay warm and dry on cool or rainy days. You can see outside or open them up for better airflow with the handy zippers
- Secure and wind resistant: This umbrella comes with 8 steel ground stakes, 3 tie-down cords and 2 anchor cords to keep it firmly in place even on windy days.
- Wondershade Ultimate, Portable Sun Shade, Royal Blue
The Wondershade is a portable and attractive sunshade that keeps your skin protected from damage by blocking up to 98% of the sun’s UV rays.
- Portable: The Wondershade is foldable into a compact size for easy carrying and storage
- Adjustable: The tripod base is telescoping. You can quickly pull it out to raise the height of the canopy to set it at the ideal height anywhere in between 3 feet to 8 feet. When you’re not using it, you can close it into a smaller size.
- Multi-angle sun blocking: The tilt feature makes sit easy to move the umbrella so you get maximum shading from bright sunlight.
- Easy to set up and take down: The design of the Wondershade adds the convenience of fast and easy setup that is just as simple to take down when it’s time to pack up.
- Rainbow Beach Umbrella 8 FT Portable Wind Beach Umbrella Folding Beach Umbrella with Metal Tilt Screw Anchor and Carrying Bag (8ft, Rainbow)
The Rainbow Beach Umbrella is a strong and dependable protection from sun, wind, and rain. It’s suitable for use in many types of outdoor settings including beach trips, fishing or backyard patio use.
- Wind-resistant: A heavy-duty screw stake anchors keep the umbrella firmly into the ground so it won’t blow away in the wind.
- Strong and durable: Anodized aluminum material used for the pole makes it resistant to rust and other types of corrosion. You can use it in all kinds of weather without causing damage. The ribs are made of strong fiberglass to enhance the durability of the structure
- Easy tilt adjustment: You can tilt the umbrella with the tilt adjustment mechanism to move the umbrella to provide shade wherever it’s needed
- Excellent ventilation: The canopy is designed to provide protection while allowing air to flow through the vented canopy. This also lessens wind resistance so the umbrella is less prone to flying away in a strong wind.
- Tommy Bahama Sand Anchor 7 feet Beach Umbrella with Tilt and Telescoping Pole (Green/Blue Stripe)
The Tommy Bahama Beach Umbrella is stylish for beach-goers who like to make a fashion statement with a designer umbrella.
- Strong frame: The frame is sturdy and reliable with heavy duty aluminum and fiberglass rib construction
- Top vented for wind tolerance: The vent is placed at the top to allow wind to blow through to prevent the umbrella from flying away.
- Adjustable: The tilting mechanism built into the frame allows you to tilt the umbrella and move it to the ideal placement needed to block the rays of the sun and keep you in the shade.
- Easy set up and take down: The telescoping pole makes it fast and easy to set this umbrella up and to take it down when it’s no longer in use.
- EasyGoUmbrella Giant 8’ Rainbow Beach Umbrella Heavy Duty Design Includes Sand Anchor & Carry Bag
The EasyGoUmbrella offers a large shade that is durable and dependable for protection from the elements that you can depend on every time.
- Durable and strong: The pole system is made of heavy-duty nylon and plastic materials with fiberglass ribs for extra durability that won’t fail you when the wind is blowing Anodized aluminum is resistant to rust and corrosion.
- Lightweight: The materials in this umbrella are ultra lightweight and this makes it easy to carry the umbrella to your spot on the beach with ease.
- Adjustable: The height of the umbrella is adjustable so you can set it up at the right height. It also has a tilting mechanism so you can position the umbrella at different angles to block the changing position of the sun.
- Solid: The screw-stake system firmly anchors the umbrella into the ground and holds it there. It’s easy to rotate the pole to anchor it into a variety of surfaces including grass, dirt, and sand.
- Frankford Umbrella Shade Star 6.5 ft. Steel Beach Umbrellas with Ashwood Pole
The Frankford Umbrella is a small to medium sized beach umbrella that is ideal for two or up to three people. It’s one of the most compact, but it provides up to 6.5 feet of shade from the sun.
- Special ultraviolet protection: The Olefin fabric used to make the shade provides a level 50 plus UPF protection from the sun and it’s potentially dangerous rays
- Compact size: This umbrella is just 6.5 feet in width but it offers good shade from the sun and protection from the elements while being small, light and easy to carry
- Easy to set up and take down: This umbrella takes just a few seconds to set up and take down. It unfolds from a small compact size with the simple push of a button that opens up the umbrella
- Durable and strong: The umbrella is dependable and strong, with a pole that is made of solid ash wood and zinc plating on the joints and rivets
How We Tested Beach Umbrellas
Each of the beach umbrellas has been subjected to strenuous testing conditions. We took them to the beach on both hot and sunny and rainy and windy days to ensure that each performed as the manufacturers described. Those we tested that didn’t live up to their promises were not included in our reviews. These are the best beach umbrellas on the market today and we can say this because we put them through heavy testing and each passed with flying colors.
How To Choose The Beach Umbrella For Wind?
The best beach umbrella for use in windy conditions must have some type of venting built into the canopy. This allows the air to pass through instead of catching it like a windsail and blowing it away. Another important feature to look for is a heavy base or one that can be filled with sand to give it a heavy anchor. Tie downs and ground stakes can also help to make a beach umbrella more stable and wind resistant.
Find The Right Umbrella
The best beach umbrellas have certain features that make them more useful and better than some others. They will have venting that allows the air to circulate through them so there is less wind resistance. This makes it harder for them to blow away and go flying through the air when the wind blows. They offer plenty of shade for the number of people who need to get out of the direct sunlight. Some materials are better than others at blocking the sun’s ultra-violet rays. Go with the umbrella that will provide between 98 to 99% blockage from the sun.
The ideal umbrella will have some type of anchoring system to keep it held firmly in place. Some mount to table tops and others are planted directly into the ground. The types that have a heavy base that can be filled with sand are the most dependable. Ground stakes and tie-downs are also good for keeping the umbrella anchored firmly in place.
Another useful feature is a carrying case to carry your umbrella to the location you want to set it up. A carrying case makes it convenient to transport the umbrella and it’s also useful to keep it safe and protected from damage when it’s not in use.
Types of Beach Umbrellas
There are several different types of beach umbrellas to choose from. One is not necessarily better than the other. It’s a matter of personal preference.
A Pagoda umbrella is a protection from the sun that has a sinuous design that looks similar to an Asian pagoda. They are sturdily built and have a larger reach than most other models. They’re popular for sun shading because they provide such a wide range of shade coverage when compared to other types.
A Cantilever umbrella is the type that is suspended in the air. Cantilevers are supported by a pole that is freestanding. They are typically used on the side portion of an outdoor patio.
A market umbrella is a wood market umbrella. It is a style that can be applied to aluminum patio umbrellas or wooden patio umbrellas.
Sunshades come in a few different types. They are awning or parasol styles that are used to provide protection from the sun.
Commercial umbrellas are heavy duty and made of commercial grade structures and fabrics. They often are made with an ash wood pole with steel ribs. The canopy is made of strong and durable materials that are made to hold up for the beach or home use, or they may be used for commercial enterprises including outdoor vending activities.
Q. Does the umbrella come with anchors?
Ans. Some umbrellas come with anchors and others do not. You must read the details to find out if the umbrella that you are considering comes with anchors included. Not all do.
Q. Can my beach umbrella double as a patio umbrella?
Ans. Yes. Most beach umbrellas can be used in a variety of different settings. Having said this, if you have a table that you want to mount the umbrella to, make sure that the diameter of the pole fits in the hole that exists in your patio table.
Q. How do I know how big the carrying case will be?
Ans. The size of the carrying case will be listed on the packaging.
We’ve shared some useful tips about what to look for in the best beach umbrella. In addition to this, we’ve reviewed the top ten beach umbrellas on the market today for your consideration. Each one is different because it is either a different size or has some other unique features that make it special. This is because everyone is different and has individual needs and preferences. Browse through our reviews to find the beach umbrella that most closely meets your needs and you will have the best.